Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rustic Vegetable Pizza with Sour Cream Drizzle

 
After my first pizza attempt, I wanted to see what else I could come up with on top of these cute pitas. I have already made this version twice and they are delicious! Feel free to put in whatever vegetables you like.




 

Rustic Vegetable Pita Pizzas with Sour Cream Drizzle

3 pitas, halved horizontally to form 6 rounds (or something similar. I used these long pitas and made 3 with this recipe.)
Jar of your favorite pizza or marinara sauce
2 T nutritional yeast
2 T panko or bread crumbs
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 small onion, sliced
1 small yam or sweet potato, cut into small shreds or peel off slices with a vegetable peeler
3 large handfuls fresh spinach leaves or about 1/2 cup frozen spinach
Sprinkle of oregano

Sour Cream Drizzle:

1/4 C vegan sour cream
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil




Preheat oven to 400.


Cut your pitas and lay them out on a cooking sheet. Spread the pizza or marinara sauce on top of each. Sprinkle with half of the nutritional yeast and half of the panko crumbs.

In a skillet over medium heat saute the onion and bell pepper until crisp tender. Add in the potato shreds and cook another 2-4 minutes. Divide these vegetables among the pitas.

Add the spinach to your skillet and cook in a little bit of water for a few minutes, until just wilted. Divide this among the pita pizzas.

Top each pizza with another sprinkle of nutritional yeast, panko crumbs, and a sprinkle of oregano.

Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden.

Sour cream drizzle: 
Mix oregano and basil into the vegan sour cream in a small bowl. I found that it will "drizzle" better if it's a little warm and melted, so I popped it into the microwave for about 20 seconds.

Once your pizzas are done drizzle this mixture on top of each one, then serve.




The second night I made these we ran out of bell pepper, so I used grape tomatoes (cut in half) and that was just as good. I say just throw every vegetable on there!


How do you feel about the vegan cheese options? I have tried some at a restaurant but wasn't the biggest fan. I think I prefer these types of pizza without any cheese. Maybe I need to just attempt to make my own!

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...