Friday, May 10, 2013

Artichoke & Chickpea Salad





Thank you for voting this recipe as the best side dish in the
May 2013 Virtual Vegan Potluck!







Welcome Virtual Vegan Potluckers! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here at Vegan Fling.
I am very excited to be participating in this event for the 3rd time. It's always so much fun!

artichokechickpea1_veganfling


I know, I know... I am in the Side Dish category but my post title says "Salad". This is not your typical salad dish though, and it works wonderfully alongside almost anything. It can be two things at once because it's just that tasty!


artichokechickpea3_veganfling


I loved that this dish was quick and easy to make. After spending a huge part of my day baking up a double batch of my Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies for an event this weekend, I needed something uncomplicated, fast, and filling. This dish delivers on all three!

artichokechickpea4_veganfling


Artichoke & Chickpea Salad
serves 4-6, adapted from vegan yum yum

1 Tbsp oil
1 15 oz can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, chopped
5-7 large artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
1/3 C sliced almonds
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

In a skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add the chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set in a serving bowl. Add the garlic to the pan and saute for a minute, then add the sliced artichokes. Cook until slightly browned. Remove from the pan and add to the chickpeas. Toast the almonds until just slightly browned, and add them in with the chickpeas and artichokes. Add the lemon juice, salt, and parsley, and toss well. Serve warm.

artichokechickpea2_veganfling


I enjoyed this side dish next to some roasted cauliflower with brussels sprouts, and some simple vegetable risotto, but it would be delicious with so many different other meals and flavors. You could always change up the spices to suit your other dishes too - it's super versatile!

artichokechickpea5_veganfling

Thanks so much for stopping by, and don't forget to check out the rest of the Virtual Vegan Potluck!

<---- Back to
Quinoa, Kale and Exhale

Forward to ----->
Glue and Glitter




26 comments:

  1. Oooo I have artichokes in my garden, and LOVE chickpeas, I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks gorgeous! Lovely photo's too! Happy Potluck! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love artichoke salads! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really pretty, and has all of the flavors I love! Thank you for joining the Potluck (again ;-) )!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty I love combo of chickpeas and artichokes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazingly versatile dish. Can't wait to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous and tasty stuff! Happy VVP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow this looks fabulous! The photos are beautiful! Happy VVP!

    - alexis
    http://www,sugarcoatedvegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! Totally pinning it for later ;)

    Happy potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, love artichokes and chickpeas! I'll have to try this one, it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like one hearty and delicious salad-- worthy enough to call a side dish for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the chunks of artichokes! This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that this is so quick and filled with all my favorite ingredients!!

    Hey, I’m on the potluck committee, would you mind updating your go forward links with the permalink to the blog after you? That way the all the blogs in the potluck will stay in linked together. Here it is:

    http://www.glueandglitter.com/main/2013/05/11/olive-oil-drop-biscuits-for-the-virtual-vegan-potluck/

    Thanks in advance!

    -Somer
    www.vedgedout.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. your blog is lovely! this looks like something thats perfect to rustle up midweek. thanks for sharing -- jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anything with artichokes and chickpeas is tops with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i remember trying a very similar recipe a few years ago. it must have been from vegan yum yum! this one looks delicious and i believe it's lower in oil than the original. i must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. According to this potluck I don't eat near enough artichokes ;) I'll have to make this salad to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chickpeas and artichokes sound like a match made in heaven! I think I will be trying this very soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious. I agree with Maggie, seems like I should up my intake of artichokes. They are so delicious, and now I have such great ideas to use it.
    Actually, the dish that you have with the salad, cauliflower and risotto just sounds perfect. When can I come over for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'll have that whole plate fille with roasted cauli, rissoto and a load of the salad please!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks delicious! I could eat a whole plate of this at a potluck. You got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmm this looks delicious! Artichokes are one of my favourite things.
    x Vix
    vixbakes.com :: vegan baking + raw desserts

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love anything with artichoke so I'm sold on this! Sounds like a fantastic side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum, this salad looks great! I've been obsessed with artichokes as of late. I used to hate them, but now I'll add them to anything! *hehe* This would be great to bring for lunches! Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. You had me at "artichoke" and then also at "chickpea". You've combined two of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful recipe! Congrats on your well-deserved win! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...