Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Champagne Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting





Stop whatever you are doing and make these!
I was so happy with how these turned out. The cupcakes rose beautifully and were so fluffy and delicious. You get a hint of the champagne flavor without it being overwhelming.


I made these for my sister's bachelorette party and since she loves everything pink I had to go with the strawberry frosting. The lucky thing is it compliments this cupcake perfectly!


Champagne Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes, adapted from mitten machen

1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup plain almond or soy milk

3/4 cup champagne

2 1/8 cup flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 cups sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat the oven to 350.

Wisk together the vinegar and the almond milk and let set a few minutes to curdle.
In another bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl mix the champagne, vegetable oil, vanilla and the vinegar/milk mixture. 
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. 
Fill your cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Let cool completely before frosting!



Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
makes enough for 12-15 cupcakes, adapted from daily garnish

5 small strawberries (Fresh or frozen, thawed)
1.5 cups powdered sugar (plus more if needed)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 cup vegan butter
1/8 cup vegetable shortening

Add all ingredients except powdered sugar to large bowl. Start mixing with an electric mixer on low, slowly adding the powdered sugar as you go. Work gradually up to high speed and mix until the frosting reaches your desired consistency. Add in more powdered sugar if you want it thicker.



Then just frost away and decorate however you'd like!
I made the little heart cupcake toppers myself out of some glittery paper and toothpicks.


Have you ever tried champagne in cupcakes before? I'm wondering what other combinations would be fun to try now!


Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. these cupcakes are stunning! your sister is one lucky gal to have had these at her shower. job well done ;) and the icing looks so good..i want to eat it with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And...I basically did eat the frosting with a spoon. ;)

      Delete
  2. Those cupcakes are gorgeussss! agree with caitlin( who brought me here btw).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty in pink still applies, even for cupcakes. This look so incredibly tasty and easy at the same time. I haven't tried cooking with champagne or any alcohol really. But I imagine it'd would do wonders to the flavor. I've heard of Hennessy in cake before!

    ❀ It's Carmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've also heard of beer in cupcakes, but I am not sure yet If I want to try that. :)

      Delete
  4. These are gorgeous Meliss! I love the little heart toppers, super cute.

    I'll take 12 please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I ended up with glitter everywhere after making the toppers, but I think it was worth it. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you make pretty things and then let us eat them. :) I've never considered baking with alcohol...neat. It would be fun to try!! I want to try cooking/baking with tea...have you done anything with tea?

    I'm curious about the science of this: "Wisk together the vinegar and the almond milk and let set a few minutes to curdle." What does this do? I already see leavening agents in the recipe.

    KITCHEN SCIENCE! :-) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jami! I haven't tried baking with tea yet, but I bet it would be good. I think the vinegar + almond milk is a substation for buttermilk, but I don't really know the kitchen science of it. I just like the part at the end where you eat it!

      Delete
  6. The recipe does not say when to add the sugar to the batter. I am going to assume it is with the dry, as that is where it is in a cookie recipe that I know by heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe does not say when to add the sugar to the batter. I'm going to add it with the wet ingredients because that's what the only cookie recipe I know by heart says to do. Hopefully that's alright!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...