Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Banana Quinoa Breakfast Pudding

bananaquinoapuddng1_veganfling


bananaquinoapuddng3_veganfling


I'm not sure if it's a vegan trend or just my thing, but I usually do not feel confined by the normal breakfast foods at breakfast time. I've been known to chow down on a salad, make some brown rice, grab some dinner leftovers, or really whatever sounds good at the time. Actually now that I think of it, I think I've always had that tendency (cold pizza for breakfast, anyone?) That's why I'm pretty excited about this recipe. It's quinoa - but totally hiding out as a sweet and filling dessert-like breakfast pudding. It's like a cross between rice pudding and oatmeal. I guess I don't know quite how to label it, other than being delicious.

bananaquinoapuddng5_veganfling


Banana Quinoa Breakfast Pudding
makes 4 servings, adapted from weelicious

1 C quinoa
2 C almond milk (or 1 C almond milk + 1 C coconut milk)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3 Tbsp agave
1/2 tsp cinnamon
splash of vanilla extract
almond slivers

Rinse your quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Place into a pot with the almond milk and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Mix in the bananas, agave, cinnamon, and vanilla and stir over medium heat until thickened. Place in serving dishes and top with almond slivers. Serve warm, or chill for 1-2 hours.

bananaquinoapuddng4_veganfling


This recipe is easy to make, can be served either warm or chilled, and keeps well as leftovers. I think this might just be a big hit with kids, too! You could go crazy and mix in all sorts of different flavors, fruits, or nuts. 



What is your favorite healthy breakfast?

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. great minds, lady! i have a breakfast quinoa coming up this week, too! i must say, i've fallen in love with it, as well. love the idea of adding the banana to the quinoa while it's cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...