Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vanilla Milkshakes with Hot Fudge Sauce

As a part of Vegan MoFo I decided to dedicate my Wednesday posts to Ladies' Night! You'll find ideas to host a fun movie party complete with drinks and snacks for the perfect girls night in.


 
I grew up watching and loving movies like Grease and Bye Bye Birdie. I know most people have seen these or at least been in a production of them in high school! Apparently the 1950's era just makes a great setting for breaking out into song. Another movie I discovered in recent years is Cry Baby, which stars a really young Johnny Depp. It's a spoof on the teen idol, good girl/bad boy 50's musicals and it's totally hilarious. So, if you're like me and love a good retro sing-a-long movie, I'm sure you'll also love these diner inspired milkshakes with hot fudge sauce!



Vanilla Milkshakes with Hot Fudge Sauce
makes 2-3 milkshakes, adapted from my little celebration

3 C vanilla dairy-free ice cream
1 C almond milk

1 C full fat coconut milk
1/2 C cocoa powder
5 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

optional: vegan chocolate sprinkles

Add the ice cream and almond milk to a blender, and mix until smooth. Add in more milk if it's too thick.

Combine the coconut milk and cocoa powder in a sauce pan and whisk over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, vanilla and salt and heat through. Transfer to a heat safe container to store.

To add the sprinkles around the glass like I did, dip the rim into some vegetable oil and then into a dish of the sprinkles.

Swirl your hot fudge around the inside of the glass, then pour in your milkshake. Feel free to add more fudge or sprinkles on top!

 

I always have a hard time passing up ice cream or milkshakes. These were a delicious sweet treat and would be so perfect for your next ladies night or any fun occasion. I'm already looking forward to trying other flavors...like my all time favorite- mint chocolate chip! What flavor would you make?


Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

  1. wow! these look like they'd really hit the spot! i was always a lover of milk shakes with extra chocolate sauce... i could probably slurp one of these bad boys down in under a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! Your photos are beautiful. This looks delicious!:) I would love to try a mint and chocolate one! chocolate & banana?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lysa! Both of those ideas sounds awesome.

      Delete
  3. these look amazing. I really want a milkshake now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are unbelievably beautiful!!! I want these shakes in my belly stat! These milk shakes would definitely bring all the boys to the yard... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these just the way they are but I do love a good strawberry frappe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the pink strawberry would look great with the chocolate sauce too. :)

      Delete
  6. I believe I just moaned. Audibly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! These look dreamy! I want one NOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the hot fudge striping on the sides of the milkshakes looks fabulous! I can almost taste it. (But the real thing would be better!) I've never seen the Johnny Depp film you mentioned, but I have a soft spot for Bye, Bye Birdie & Grease. Like you guessed, I performed in Grease in high school and Bye, Bye Birdie at a local dinner theatre when I was in college. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I was totally into all the high school musicals too. :) You probably would like Cry Baby then!

      Delete
  9. I was never in Grease, but I have dated a greaser or two. I just saw this photo on Pinterest and anyone who posts my fave vegan dessert deserves another follower. Just added myself.
    Happy Mofoing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, I love a good milkshake! I hardly ever have them, but it seems like this needs to change ASAP! :-) Grease and Bye, Bye Birdie are two of my faves. I was in Bye, Bye Birdie in high school- I was Albert's mother (the old lady).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I love her character in the movie. "What's the matter with kids today?" :)

      Delete
  11. i want one of these.. no wait both of these glasses! i love the sauce and sprinkles on the rim.. so pretty! i saw grease after coming here , so maybe sometime in 2001-02...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the glasses cute? My husband's aunt gave them to me. I think they are vintage but I have no clue where they are from.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...