Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Black Bean Burgers and Bell Pepper Rings


I decided I couldn't let the summer end without trying my hand at making homemade veggie burgers. These black bean burgers were really tasty, and they even held up great on the grill! I also somehow got the idea to make bell pepper rings. Like onion rings, but with bell peppers. I got some worried looks from my family who was over for dinner, but in the end I think they got on board with the idea. Don't worry, I made the onion rings too if you are scared!



 Black Bean Burgers
makes about 5 patties, adapted from the innocent primate

1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper
1/2 medium onion
1 can corn
1 carrot
2 C panko bread crumbs
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp chili powder
salt, to taste
buns, tomato slices, lettuce


Roughly chop the bell pepper, onion and carrot. Saute along with the corn for about 6-8 minutes.
Throw all the vegetables into a food processor along with the black beans. I ground my vegetables up pretty small so they would hold together well.

In a large bowl combine the vegetable mixture, bread crumbs, flour, chili powder and salt. Mix well.
Form into patties and refrigerate (or freeze) until you are ready to grill. These worked perfectly straight on the grill - just cook until both sides are browned. They would also work great in a skillet over the stove top. Top with your favorite burger toppings or try it with some salsa!


 
Bell Pepper/Onion Rings
serves 4, adapted from the vegan stoner

2 bell peppers
1 small onion
1/4 C flour
1/2 C almond milk
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 C panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 450.

Slice the onion and bell pepper into thin rings.

In one bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch and milk.
In a second bowl mix the olive oil, salt and bread crumbs.

Set up your assembly line - dip the rings into the flour mix, then the bread crumbs, and then place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.


I really enjoyed these burgers and am already excited to try the bell pepper rings again.
Even though summer is almost over, I think there is still time for another cook out or two!


What fall foods are you looking forward to? I love a good chili night myself. Lots of baking too, of course!



Thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

  1. I would like some bell pepper rings, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepper rings!? Awesome idea! I bet they were delicious!

    Yummmm! I'm obsessed with veggie burgers! They are sooooo yummy. These look perfect - I definitely want to try out this recipe and test out the new BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! I hope you like these if you try them. :)

      Delete
  3. Okay. Now this really funny. I am posting a burger recipe in the next few day! haha we really have the same cravings I guess :) The recipe is completely different though...giving me the chance to try your beautiful looking burger. The onion rings would make my boyfriend SO happy !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! Can't wait to see your burger recipe too!

      Delete
  4. YUM! Your rolls always look so amazing :) I love a good veggie burger and one that holds up on the grill is a keeper!

    The bell pepper rings are pure genius - love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have to admit I usually get store bought rolls. I need to make my own some day!

      Delete
  5. Bell pepper rings?!?! I need them in my life! Thank you for this, Melissa! You are amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG i need those pepper rings! the burger looks gorgeous an with those rings, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bell pepper rings? How creative! I will so be making those with my next batch of veggie burgers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...