Thursday, August 2, 2012

Blueberry Muffins

 
I decided to try out a blueberry muffin recipe this past weekend, and this one has a little hint of coconut with both coconut oil and flour in the muffins. You can't really taste the coconut after baking, but if you are a fan I think some shredded coconut on the tops of these would be fun!

Blueberry Muffins
makes 12, adapted from my little celebration

1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 T coconut flour
1/2 cup + 2 T old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 flax egg (1 T ground flax seed mixed with 3 T water)
1 T melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Prepare your flax egg in a small bowl and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 375 and fill muffin tin with liners.
In a medium bowl combine the flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon, then set aside.
In a separate bowl combine the applesauce, milk, brown sugar, flax egg, coconut oil and vanilla. Mix well and then add the dry ingredients in. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
Divide among 12 muffin cups and sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top if you'd like.
Bake for 15-18 minutes.


So, they really didn't rise as much as I had hoped, but they still tasted really delicious. Sometimes baking at high altitude has it's challenges. :)


I can't decide if the strawberry muffins or these are better... maybe it's a tie? What are your favorite types of fruit muffins?

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Blueberry muffins are always so delicious. You always have great desert recipes...that make me hungry!! My favorite muffins are lemon and raspberry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Raspberry muffins sounds pretty great too.

      Delete
  2. Blueberry Muffins are my faves, hands down! Blueberries make the muffins! Hearty, rustic little muffins like these are always the best. Yum!

    Happy Friday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and they are so much better with fresh blueberries too. I don't know if I can give the #1 muffin spot in my heart away from chocolate chip muffins though! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the addition of coconut flour - and I am definitely a fan of Blueberries in my Muffins, love strawberries but I am more of a straight up strawberry girl or strawberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time using coconut flour! I was excited. Also strawberry jam is my favorite. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...