Thursday, September 6, 2012

Monkey Bread Muffins


When I was growing up, having monkey bread for breakfast was reserved for special occasions and holidays only. Probably because it took awhile to make, and maybe because my Mom didn't want us having all that sugar! It just made the times we did eat monkey bread so much more fun.


I had made these muffins versions awhile ago, but I needed to upgrade them to vegan status. I have to say that this way may even become my new favorite. I will warn you that it's really hard not to eat the whole batch in one sitting!

 



Monkey Bread Muffins
makes 12 muffins, adapted from the pioneer woman and the cheeky kitchen

3 Tbsp vegan butter
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pure maple syrup
1/2 C almond milk
juice of 1 lemon

sugar
cinnamon
vegan butter

1 C of powdered sugar
3 Tbsp of almond milk





Heat oven to 400F.

In a large bowl combine the vegan butter, flour, baking soda, and salt with a fork until you get a crumbly mixture.
In another bowl, whisk together the almond milk and lemon juice and let sit for a few minutes to curdle. Add the maple syrup and whisk.
Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the wet ingredients into the center. Stir with a fork in one direction until the dough is fully combined and moist, then knead it a few times on a floured surface.
Separate and roll the dough into 1" balls.

Place about 1/2 tsp of vegan butter in the bottom of each opening in your muffin tin. Sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon on top of this. Add 3-4 small dough balls into each muffin space. Top with another round of the butter, sugar and cinnamon.

Bake for 8-12 minutes, or just until the edges of the biscuits are light golden brown.

Whisk together 1 C powdered sugar and 3 T almond milk to make the glaze.
Drizzle over the top of the muffins and serve!



Pull-apart goodness!


A huge THANK YOU to Heather from Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes for passing the One Lovely Blog award on to me. My first ever blog award - I feel so fancy!


Part of this award is to list seven random facts about yourself, so here are mine:
1. I love all things vintage.
2. Our current kitchen is really tiny. In the next place I would love a huge open kitchen.
3. I couldn't last one day without a cat in the house. My parents moved with their 2 cats and an hour after they drove away I went and adopted Minnie.
4. I have a very large and almost complete collection of vintage 1980's Care Bears.
5. I love disco music.
6. One time I met Rue McClanahan.
7. Even though my husband is not vegan, he is amazing and very supportive of my cooking efforts. He taste tests everything you see here on the blog!


I am so happy that starting this blog has allowed me to meet some amazing people and I'm excited to pass this award along to some bloggers that inspire me everyday!

Kristy at Keepin' It Kind
Caitlin at The Vegan Chickpea
Courtney at The Fig Tree Blog
Richa at Vegan Richa
Lysa at Cooking with Lysa

(If you've already gotten this award before you can just have another one because you are so awesome!) :)

16 comments:

  1. thanks for the award, lady! i love your blog and i'm so glad that we found each other!!

    monkey bread was a VERY special treat growing up. i only remember eating it a few times, but when i did, i stuffed my face with it. totally out of control. i like that these are muffins so you can more easily practice self control. so you'll only eat one...or 5 muffins at a time ;)

    also, the carebear collection tidbit is amazing! i want to see a picture! how many of them are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you'd think there could be self control with these, but...I was not able to find it!
      I'd have to go count, but I think it's over 40? ;)

      Delete
  2. You are so nice! Thank you for the lovely award!:)
    Oh how I love reading your blog and your so many amazing recipes. Monkey bread...oh my. It brings really good memories in my head. I would love to try your recipe they look so tasty and perfectly cooked. I would love to see your care bear collection..it is awesome!! It is fun to see that having a non-vegan husband is okay for you too :)!
    As I would say in french ''vivre et laisser vivre!''

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I love reading your blog as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the award, Melissa! I am so happy I found your blog- you are quite a talented inspiration! :-)

    And 2 things:
    1. Oh my gosh, I totally had all those care bears when I was a kid too! I was obsessed. Right along with my Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, and My Little Pony figurines!
    2. Oh my gosh, these muffins! I've never had monkey bread before, but now I feel like I'm missing out. I need these in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved all the 80's cartoons too! I had to downsize my collectibles and gave a lot to my young cousins, but there is still quite a bunch of stuff in storage. :) Yes, you definitely need monkey bread in your life!

      Delete
  4. Wow what have I've been missing, we never had monkey bread growing up, I know what it is but haven't ever had it and that obvisouly needs to change!

    Hahaha Care Bears - so awesome, that along with Popples & Pound Puppies where all over the house growing up (and of course our massive barbie collection!)

    I am the same way, I am pretty sure I will always have a cat in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally missed out, I think you need to try monkey bread asap!
      I totally loved Popples and Pound Puppies too. I think I may still have a popples doll somewhere in storage... haha!

      Delete
  5. This is what we had for special occasion breakfasts too! Sometimes my mom would make it when I had friends over, and they absolutely loved it. I am so excited to see a vegan version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally made these! I had my in-laws over for brunch today, and the muffins were a hit! I'm going to put the recipe in my recipe app now :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for the award Melissa! i still love disco too:)
    these monkey bread muffins are super cute.. small and cute bites of bread. hell yeah! i want some super small cute food:)
    we did not eat much baked bread at all while growing up. everything was mostly flat bread... and now i am obsessed with baked breads. it might become a problem if we move back to our tropical home town where the summers are like 115 degrees F:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Disco Fever! Hmmm I think you could still bake these even in warm weather!

      Delete
  7. Awe, thank you so very much for the award sweetie pie!!!! :)

    Yum! I've had a craving for monkey bread! Saturday, Jesse and I went to a new bakery here called Jonnie's Sticky Buns. They had a number of amazing vegan sticky buns. We had the pumpkin spice and the ginger carrot. AMAZING! They also had some monkey bread and I'm kicking myself for not buying any. Now I can make myself some. Thanks! :) *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, those look delicious, and so simple to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...