Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Baked Mac 'n Cheese with Spinach
Sometimes when it snows in the middle of April, the only thing that can cheer you up is a big bowl of mac 'n cheese. Sure I threw some spinach in there to make it "healthy", but this is vegan comfort food at it's finest!
Baked Man 'n Cheese with Spinach
1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
1 Tbsp vegan butter
3/4 C unsweetened almond milk
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1/4 tsp garlic powder
6 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 C canned pumpkin puree
salt and pepper to taste
few handfuls baby spinach
optional: red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Cook your pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
In a separate bowl whisk the milk, arrowroot, and garlic powder and then add this into the pan.
Add the nutritional yeast, dijon, and salt & pepper. Continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened.
Add in the canned pumpkin and whisk until heated.
Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir to combine. Add in the spinach leaves and mix again. Pour the pasta mixture into a casserole dish and top with panko crumbs. Bake for 20 to 25 min.
I love this pasta because it's so creamy and it really does remind of the mac and cheese of my early years. You can taste the pumpkin in there a little bit, but it's not too overwhelming. Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
A big thanks to the lovely Sarah from Fried Dandelions for passing on the Liebster Award to me!
It comes along with a set of questions - so here we go.
1. What is your favorite vegan dessert and why (include a link if you have one!)
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies!
2. Pick 2 foods/ingredients that you just couldn’t live without!
Avocados and Hummus
3. What is the most important thing you’ve learned along the way about blogging?
It's easy to get sucked into the world of blogging because there is always so much more you could be doing for your blog - sharing your posts, networking, editing, redesigning...but you have to just be realistic and do your best with the time you have.
4. How long have you been a vegan (or vegetarian)?
A little over a year.
5. What is your most trusted cookbook?
Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
6. What is your #1 tip for bloggers?
Don't compare yourself to other too much - just do you and your blog will be great!
7. What tips do you have for new vegans?
Start slow if you need to. Figure out what meals you already love are actually secretly vegan. Don't worry, you'll totally be able to figure out how to dine out.
8. What is your favorite vegan comfort dish?
Anything with pasta, or black bean chili.
9. What do you have pinned on your pinterest board that you are dying to make?
Waaay too many things.
10. What made you want to start blogging?
To keep track of my recipes and hopefully connect with other vegans - it worked!
11. What is your favorite dish to bring to a dinner party?
I usually show up with dessert of some type - cookies or cupcakes.
Thanks for stopping by!