Monday, April 1, 2013

Roasted Potato & Asparagus Pizza

potatopizza1_veganfling


potatopizza4_veganfling


Something must be in the air, because I have been seeing lots of delicious looking pizza recipes popping up around the blogs lately. I'm not complaining at all, because pizza is awesome! I finally decided to try my hand at making a homemade dough too, and it came out pretty well. I used a recipe from Veggieful, and topped it with a quick pizza sauce and some sliced potatoes and garlic asparagus.

potatopizza2_veganfling


potatopizza3_veganfling


Roasted Potato & Asparagus Pizza

Dough:
I followed Veggieful's pizza dough recipe 

Sauce:
1 can (4 oz) tomato paste
1 C water
1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of  salt and pepper
1/2 Tbsp oregano
1/2 Tbsp basil 
1/2 Tbsp rosemary
Mix all ingredients well and let stand to let flavors blend.

Topping:
3-4 medium potatoes
olive oil
salt and pepper
rosemary
1 C asparagus, chopped
1 clove garlic
nutritional yeast

Cut the potatoes paper thin with a mandolin slicer. Toss in a large bowl with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary to taste. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet (I used a silpat non-stick mat) and bake for 10-12 min at 350 F.


Saute the asparagus with a splash of olive oil and 1 clove of garlic until just softened.


Assembly:
Once your pizza dough is ready and has pre-cooked in the oven, spread the sauce and then add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Layer the potato slices and top with the asparagus.
Bake the whole pizza at 400 F for 15-20 min or until edges are slightly browned and the potatoes look crisp.

potatopizza6_veganfling


Next time I will bake mine a little longer - as you can see the edges of my crust didn't quite get browned enough. I also think it might be fun to cut the dough in half and make a thin crispy pizza crust. All that said, making pizza from scratch wasn't as hard as I thought! I enjoyed the flavors of the roasted potatoes and the fresh asparagus. What is your favorite pizza topping combo?

potatopizza5_veganfling


Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. yummy! the sauce looks so light and flavorful. i've been seeing a lot of potato topped pizzas in the last couple of years- they look so rustic but lovely at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I kept seeing potatoes everywhere so I finally got myself a mandolin slicer to try it out. :)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to make my own pizza, but could never find a good enough recipe. I'd really want to try this though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi - it's not as hard as it seems to make your own pizza!

      Delete
  3. Mmmmmm! I adore pizza. I've been experimenting with all sorts of fun toppings lately. Love the idea of potato and asparagus! Perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! Pizza really is such a versatile food. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks so wonderful- I've never had potato on a pizza before, but I"m itching to try it. And I love roasted asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised, I'd recommend potato pizza for sure. :)

      Delete
  5. i need to put potatoes on my pizza!!! this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...