Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Carrot Cranberry Muffins

Approximately 2 days after I decided to try to eat vegan, I needed to come up with something for a bake sale. I was getting frustrated because none of my old standbys were going to work. I actually really love to bake and was already thinking that my vegan attempts were doomed before they even began.

Then I found this recipe for Carrot Cranberry Muffins, and my hope has been restored!
I did a little research and discovered that I could swap out the eggs in this recipe and use applesauce instead to make it vegan.

I made these with what I had on hand, which meant leaving out the zucchini, and using dried cranberries instead of fresh, but they still turned out DELICIOUS! Plus by the end of the bake sale these were all gone. I can't wait to try out more vegan baking.


Carrot Cranberry Muffins
Adapted from Tender Crumb, Original recipe from The SoNo Baking Company Cookbook by John Barricelli
 makes 12 muffins

2 C AP flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 C sugar
1 C canola oil
1/4 C applesauce (I used pear sauce)
1 C finely grated carrots (approx 2 medium)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 C dried cranberries





Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Grease a standard 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla until combined. Mix in the grated carrots.

Fold in the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula until combined. Fold in the cranberries.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Rotate the pan mid way through the baking time.

Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temp.


 YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...