Thursday, November 8, 2012

Roasted Squash with Couscous


Is everyone else enjoying the slower post-mofo pace of November? I loved cooking up so many fun things, but it's nice to be able to have a little more time to plan my recipes and to also catch up on my blog reading! I feel like I've missed some great posts from some of my friends... don't worry, I will get caught up soon, I promise!


Last month, Kristy from Keepin' It Kind posted this amazing looking recipe for quinoa stuffed squash, and I was inspired to buy some squash. I loved her idea of creating a filling for the squash, so I did just that with ingredients I had on hand. It ended up being a really easy dinner, and one I would happily eat anytime!


Roasted Squash with Couscous
2 small to medium carnival squash
1 Tbsp vegan butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper
3 C vegetable broth
1.5 C Israeli couscous
1/4 C pine nuts
1/4 C dried cranberries
Few handfuls fresh spinach

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Cut the squash in half using a strong knife, and scoop out the seeds and stringy center.
Add about 1/4 inch of water to the bottom of a baking dish, and place the squash halves in the pan, cut side up. Coat the insides of the squash with the vegan butter, and sprinkle 1/2 Tbsp of brown sugar and a sprinkle of salt and pepper over each half.
Bake for 1 hour, or until the tops of the squash are lightly browned. 

When the squash is about halfway done, you can get started on the filling. Combine the vegetable broth of the couscous in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and let simmer 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.

Lightly toast the pine nuts in a pan until golden brown. Careful not to burn.
Mix the pine nuts, cranberries and spinach into the couscous. Let sit until the spinach wilts.
Scoop some of the couscous filling into each half of your squash, then serve.


My husband really dislikes squash, so I was the only one eating these - but I'm not complaining! I will definetly be making this again. I had never tried these little carnival squash before but they were really good. I think next time I will add in some chickpeas like Kristy had in her recipe!


What is your favorite type of squash right now? What other types of filling would you add to your roasted squash?

Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! They would make a nice centerpiece dish for the holidays. I agree that chickpeas would make a welcome addition. Whenever I add them to a grain or pasta dish, I feel like they make it more of a meal.

    It is nice to have a slower pace after MoFo! Although, I miss having so many new blog posts to read everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cadry! I agree, I love chickpeas in almost anything.

      Delete
  2. This looks DIVINE! Beautiful pics as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasted squash! And this filling must be delicious. Pine nuts, cranberries and couscous? Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are so beautiful ! It is really funny because 20 minutes ago, I had half a squash with some rice in it :) Your version looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lysa! We always seem to be on a similar page with foods we make!

      Delete
  5. that squash loaded with the pretty couscous looks so gorgeous! i am still so busy with trying to make some diwali dishes:) i might just take a break the coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richa! I have been loving your Diwali posts.

      Delete
  6. LOVE Carnival Squash - so pretty and taty....I have about 50lbs of winter squash stored away in my fridge - butternut, turban, acorn, sweet dumpling, carnival & kuri - LOVE them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow- It makes me so happy that you liked my recipe! I'm totally blushing right now! :-)

    I like your version with couscous- you just reminded me that I have a whole jar of it, waiting to be used. I also need to try carnival squash- they're so beautiful! I think I'm going to have to make some more stuffed squash ASAP. Maybe Thanksgiving... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Kristy! You are awesome. The stuffed squash is just so fun! Would love to see more combinations of it from you.

      Delete
  8. Yum! The filling sounds delicious! I just bought some squash, so I'll be trying this out ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...